Friday 29 November 2013

Fit Friday: "Motivation"

¡Hola Amigos!

I'm diving straight into serious waters today. So, lately I've been thinking about body image, and how we have such a distorted view of our bodies. Guys and gals alike. It is important to be healthy, but it's not good to focus SO much on being smaller, thinner, more muscular/ripped, etc, that you start self-hating, and that's what consumes your thoughts entirely. This is a massive issue, which I don't even think I can come close to handling or fixing, but I'll do my best.

I noticed when I started getting into health that there's a ton of "motivational" quotes and images all over Pinterest & Instagram that emphasize going harder, working out everyday, never having cheat meals and never giving up. I agree with these to an extent. When you're working out, it is good to push hard, because that's how you make your muscles stronger. And I know I've felt great after a run when I've pushed myself to go farther than I thought I could. And some days I think you've just gotta get up and work out, instead of just sitting around hoping for some amazing source of motivation. But when these images and sayings are around us allllll the time, our thoughts change. We start to think that way and focus on always being better than we are. And then what happens when we miss a day of working out, or we eat some milk chocolate? We start to hate on ourselves.  Because we messed up. And then we can start on a downward spiral. 


I really wish there were more images like this: 

Or this: 
(don't even get me started on the whole "thigh gap" phenomenon). 

If we surround ourselves with these types of images, we'll be more likely to love ourselves enough to keep trying to be healthy. And we will realize that not working out one day (or a few more) or eating some sweets is not a bad thing! It's actually pretty healthy. Mentally and physically. Your body needs a break. You can't just work it all the time. It will break down or get sick. And if you deprive yourself of the things you really like, that aren't good for you in excess, then you're more likely to binge later on when you finally do. And binging is not healthy! Obvs. But I hope you already know that. 


Everyone is beautiful and everyone is loved. And if you can realize that, and try to love yourself, then you can be healthy!
It's funny, because I think we think that once we're healthy that we'll start loving ourselves. But it's totally the opposite. You need to love yourself enough, that you realize you deserve a healthy body, and that you want to put good things in your body and give it exercise, so that it's can function and perform optimally. 


Read this article! It's a great view on being happy with yourself. 


You can be healthy at a size 12 or a size 2, or pretty much anywhere in between or around. Being healthy isn't just a number on your waistband or the scale. It's a whole lot more than that. I think it's about how you feel, how you perform/carry out tasks, and the moderation you have in your life. And health = happiness!

I hope you enjoyed this post and that it helped your perspective a little! Remember that you are loved and you are awesome! Keep trying and loving yourself and you can be healthy! 

Lots of love, 

Lo


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
{ Blog design by Tasnim }