Friday 22 November 2013

Fit Friday! Drink Up!



Drink Up! Water, that is. Water is ESSENTIAL to live a healthy life! I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times, but it's for good reason! I could go on for days about how great water is. But I personally don't find any type of advice as effective, if I don't know WHY it's important. It's just like when you're told to eat certain foods. Well why? You should be knowledgeable about what you're putting in to that beautiful body!

So why is water important you ask?

Many, many reasons. For starters, water boosts your metabolism! And who doesn't want that?? It keeps everything running smoothly in your body, and allows it to better function when you aren't dehydrated. After all, your body is made up almost entirely of water. Did you know that if you're chronically dehydrated, you can gain around 10 lbs in a year?! No thank you! When you're dehydrated, your body retains water, which means excess water weight. Your body feels deprived, so it stores it in your cells.

Are you tired? Grab some water!! Dehydration makes you tired because your body slows down, because it isn't hydrated enough. This is especially important when you're studying or reading I find. Are you reading the same paragraph 10 times in a row? We've all been there. Get up and get some water! It will help out immensely. Trust me. Along with studying, water helps with your alertness and your memory.



It helps run your Immune System! Water helps keep out nasty germs from your body and protects your body from disease. According to TIU, White Blood Cells, which are the disease fighting ones, travel through your body in a substance made up mostly of water. And if you don't drink enough, your body, doesn't have as much of a chance at fighting anything off!

It gets rid of toxins from your body. What are toxins? Toxins are "a poisonous substance that is a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism and is usually very unstable, notably toxic when introduced into the tissues, and typically capable of inducing antibody formation." I know what you're thinking, "doesn't that sound like a bundle of fun?!" Jk. Not at all. Toxins are bad, and in order to get rid of them we need to sweat, and replenish our bodies with WATER! That goes to all of you who plan on drinking tonight - CHUG that water!




So how much water should you be drinking? You should drink, at least, half your body weight in ounces. I've heard that so many times from Tone It Up, it's engrained in my head!

So here are some tips!

1. Drink water as soon as you wake up. A nice tall glass. Some people add lemon, because it boots your metabolism even more. Your body has been dehydrated for ~8 hours, so the sooner you drink after waking up, the sooner your metabolism starts away.

2. Make flavoured water. I love adding strawberries, lemon, lime, or oranges to mine. Makes it more interesting! I also really like coconut water. Zico is one of my fav's, especially the chocolate!



3. Bring water bottles with you. I usually bring 2 with me to school if I'm there for 6 hours. If I workout, I fill one up one or two more times.

4. Drink before any meal. Or even when you feel hungry. Your body sometimes confuses hunger with thirst. Water helps you feel full, so I try to drink a glass before each meal, then I eat less! :)




So drink up! And have a happy healthy weekend!

xoxo,

Lo

p.s. this may happen:


You can't say I didn't warn you. But don't worry, you'll get over it. 

Also, I think this is a stellar idea!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
{ Blog design by Tasnim }