Tuesday 11 March 2014

Tasty Taco Soup! A Fiesta in your Mouth

The weather is warming up, which means that there's only a few weeks left for warm soups and chilli! So here's a great recipe that is perfect for a cold day (or really any other time). I came by this recipe from a girl at church. I was in charge of putting together a large dinner for people last Thursday night, and I met with a few people who came up with a bunch of great ideas, but we ended up doing Taco Soup because it's in a crock pot - i.e. it's super easy (especially since we had to feed ~100 people)!

It turned out great! It was super tasty and we got plenty of compliments on the meal. Shout out to all those seriously amazing people who came through and helped me make it (especially my brother Chris)! There is no way that I could have done this by myself! Although, this recipe does make a lot, but based on my pictures, I'd say you could go easy on some of the ingredients. I have a large crock pot, and it got filled to the brim!

Here's what you'll need:



1 lb Ground Beef (extra lean preferably)
1 large Onion, chopped
2 packs of Taco Seasoning
2 cans diced Tomatoes
1 jar of Salsa
2 cans Corn
2 cans Black Beans
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Brown Beans (optional)


-The recipe is super easy, it just requires a little bit of prep. You'll just need to brown the beef and cook the onions. 

Step 1: Chop up the onion into small pieces. I personally chopped it up large and then threw it into the food processor in 2 intervals.



Random side note: while I was cutting the onion up and my eyes were burning, I genuinely started to wonder who was the person who thought, "Hey! This plant is making my eyes water and burn. This is great, I should totally eat it!" - I can't be the only one who's wondered. Moving on...

Step 2: Brown the ground beef on medium heat, mixing regularly. Add both packets of taco seasoning to meat. Then add the onions to the mixture and cook until translucent.



Step 3: Open all cans and place into the crockpot. Pour meat and onion mixture into pot also. Add water if needed for some liquid/if you have room, haha.


SEE! Look how freaking full it got!! And then I remembered I forgot to add the salsa...


So yeah, there was a lot of food.

Step 4: Set crockpot on high for 4-6 hours, and wait until done! Serve with sour cream (or greek yogurt), shredded cheese, and taco chips. This recipe also goes nicely with a garden salad.


Hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you try it!! 

xoxo,

Lo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
{ Blog design by Tasnim }